Here’s how the land lies!
Pollution is made of two distinct categories:
- Gases and Vapours
Most types of pollution can be put into one or other category.
1. Gases & Vapours:
- Nitrogen Oxides
- Sulphur Dioxide
- Carbon Monoxide
- Low level Ozone
- Hydrocarbon Chemicals
These pollutants all require an activated carbon filter media to absorb them.
- Asbestos dust from brake linings
- Road dust
- Black smoke from diesel emissions
- Any other material which is solid in nature
There are two categories of particulates:
Inhalable and respirable
- Inhalable particulates: are the particles big enough to be trapped within the nasal hairs and the mucous membranes at the back of the throat.
- Respirable particulates: are the particles that pass beyond the nasal hairs and the mucous membranes of the throat and pass into the lung sacs and subsequent blood barrier. These particulates can carry carcinogenic chemicals used in petrol (benzene, pyrene, etc) to the blood barrier.
So there you have it in a nutshell.
What can you do about it? - get a mask.